Grassy Creek Ranch
Offering diverse opportunities for big game and upland bird hunting near a world-class ski resort.
- Quintessential elk and mule deer habitat
- Comprised of 3,300 +/- total acres (2,444+/- deeded, 855 +/- State & BLM)
- Property intentionally managed for wildlife and livestock operations
- Two miles of Grassy Creek runs through the heart of the property
- 170 acres of reclaimed-mosaic mining operations compliment wildlife habitat
- Exceptional privacy, minutes from the Yampa Valley Regional Airport and Steamboat Springs, CO, and only 1.5 hours from Vail
- Convenient year round access from CR 27
- Strategic wildlife wintering range and integral ecosystem for sage grouse
- Interspersed with aspen, oak, pine, and cottonwood-lined creek bottoms
- Abundance of native forage, plant diversity, and water resources
- Optimal multi-species livestock capabilities
A hidden tributary of the Yampa River, Grassy Creek meanders through lush oak valleys crowned by aspen groves and high-top vistas of the Flat Tops. The ranch boasts panoramas of Steamboat Springs Ski Resort, Elkhead Mountains, and the snow-capped peaks of the Park Range to the north.
Notable for its plentiful game, this distinct ecosystem lies in the heart of one of the largest migratory elk herds in the United States. In addition to elk, the ranch is home to resident mule deer, Shiras moose, black bears, mountain lions, and an array of upland birds making this one of the most diverse wildlife landscapes in the West. This is truly a sportsman’s paradise, offering ample archery and rifle hunting opportunities throughout the expanse of topography, timber, and live water draws.
Grassy Creek Ranch is the perfect blend of rugged western landscapes and privacy, yet minutes from the world-class ski resort of Steamboat Springs, Colorado.
- Six miles of improved gravel roads
- 170 acres of reclaimed-mosaic mining operations compliments wildlife habitat
- Dozens of miles of ATV & side-by-side trails navigate throughout the property
Grassy Creek Ranch is ideally situated 9 miles south of the quaint ranching community of Hayden, Colorado and just 18 miles west of the resort destination of Steamboat Springs. Straddled by the iconic Flat Tops Mountains and the Park Range, there are limitless recreational freedoms from the two separate entrances to the ranch. Primary access to the ranch is via paved County Road 27, and is a well maintained year-round thoroughfare.
Grassy Creek Ranch is in a montane ecosystem with an elevation of 7,000-8,300 ft., and therefore is known for cool winters and refreshing summers. With an average of 244 sunny days per year, the July high is around 85 degrees, while the January low is 7. The area receives an annual precipitation averaging around 26.5 inches, and 120 inches of annual snowfall, which offers excellent snowmobiling, backcountry skiing, and snowboarding opportunities.
The ranch has been expressly managed for hunting and wildlife under Colorado Parks & Wildlife’s Ranching for Wildlife Program. Plentiful numbers of mule deer, elk, and moose inhabit the ranch, in addition to several species of upland birds, including sharp-tail, blue, and sage grouse. The ranch lies within Colorado GMU 13, which offers an abundance of over-the-counter elk licenses for both archery and rifle hunting. Additionally, the ranch could qualify for multiple landowner mule deer licenses annually through Colorado Parks & Wildlife Landowner Preference Program.
Although historically used for livestock water, several of the ponds fed by Grassy Creek have the capacity to hold and maintain year-round trout fisheries.
A vast network of ATV and side-by-side trails course throughout the property, and lend access to nearly all parts of the ranch and its varying topography. For the non-motorized adventurers, dozens of well-established game trails traverse the aspen and oak brush hillsides, giving way to hiking and mountain biking opportunities.