Conservation & Public Lands
Mirr Ranch Group is the expert in buying and selling ranches with conservation values. Our in-house conservation experts include:
- Ken Mirr: A former public lands attorney with extensive experience in brokering open space and land conservation transactions.
- Woody Beardsley: A former land use and conservation specialist at Trust for Public Land.
- Tommy Latousek: Responsible for heading up an award-winning land protection program at Mesa Land Trust and did habitat conservation projects on the Colorado River for American Rivers.
- Ben Guillon: The founder and CEO of Conservation Investment Management, the first Registered Investment Advisor specializing in conservation finance.
The Conservation Experts
We have extensive experience with conservation easements from legal, tax, management, and ecological standpoints. Our expertise expedites and streamlines the process, often saving a landowner money and preventing headaches. For properties with conservation values Mirr Ranch Group can:
- Decide whether or not conservation easements are appropriate for a landowner’s situation
- Navigate the easement process for our clients, which can be complex involving appraisers, accountants, lawyers, ecologists, and other professionals
- Effectively market conservation-encumbered properties
- Represent buyers by helping them synthesize and understand conservation easements and how these effect property values
- And find conservation-minded buyers
Wildlife Habitat Enhancement
Quality habitat design and management are key to developing and perpetuating wildlife health on ranches. They’re also one of the most significant ways a landowner can enhance the overall value of a property. Mirr Ranch Group provides complete management services for the assessment, design, creation, and restoration of wildlife habitats and agricultural landscapes. We can design a wildlife recreation plan, assist in implementing that plan, and offer in-depth expertise through our partner Duffy Brown who is a renowned expert on wildlife habitat enhancement.
As part of our many services to clients, Mirr Ranch Group can develop a custom ranch management plan that will ensure a smooth and profitable ranch operation. With the help of TCU Ranch Management alumnus, Trey Milhoan, we will develop a road map to ranch ownership that optimizes ranches resources and simplifies management practices. This plan will include:
- Grazing schedules
- Livestock capacity
- Weed control
- Water utilization and development
- Range management
- Conservation plans
- Wildlife habitat
We have the capacity and resources to find the appropriate personnel that will work to ensure the owner’s desired goals. Mirr Ranch Group maintains excellent contacts with wildlife specialists, livestock suppliers, and ranch equipment outlets, as well as working contacts with legal, accounting, banking, and insurance professionals.
We have in-house expertise to negotiate lease agreements on behalf of the owner with other ranchers, the U.S. Forest Service, the Bureau of Land Management, and the various state land agencies. Our overall goal is to ensure the continued success of the ranch as defined by the owner.
Land Investment Strategies
In addition to traditional income that ranches generate, i.e. agricultural operations and recreation, we can assist clients in implementing creative land investment strategies to generate supplemental revenue. Mirr Ranch Group broker, Ben Guillon, is the founder and CEO of Conservation Investment Management. With his expertise we will:
- Create a valuation of existing and potential environmental assets on your ranch (wetland mitigation, species, carbon)
- Develop a business strategy for and coordination of the development and construction of environmental assets
- Implement a capital/funding strategy for environmental assets (mitigation and conservation banks, water quality projects, carbon sequestration projects)
- Educate landowners on how to manage and then sell environmental assets
Ready to talk? Connect with us today so we can answer any questions you might have!