Commonly known as Ski Town USA, the mountain town of Steamboat Springs is a world-class destination resort town surrounded by many Colorado ranches, including legacy working ranches, fly-fishing properties, and coveted trophy hunting properties. Well known for its year-round recreation and ranching culture, you would be hard pressed to find all of the following in one locale:
- The area is home to the White River Elk herd, the largest elk herd in North America;
- Steamboat Ski Resort, famous for its “champagne powder,” offers nearly 3,000 skiable acres of terrain, tree skiing, wide open meadows, long mogul runs and groomed cruisers;
- The recreational enthusiast can enjoy year-round access to thousands of acres of public land at Stagecoach State Park, Routt National Forest, White River National Forest, and Sarvice Creek and Flat Tops Wilderness for hiking, gold medal fly-fishing, mountain biking, climbing, and horseback riding;
- The Yampa River flows through town and is a regional favorite for kayaking and white water rafting;
- High-end shopping, golfing, and restaurants, as well as the conveniences of town such as a hospital, grocery stores, etc.;
- Access to two airports – Steamboat Springs Airport (SBS) offers charter service, air ambulance and FBO. Yampa Valley Regional Airport (HDN) is 22 miles from town, and has daily flights from four major airlines with direct service to Chicago, Dallas/Ft.Worth, Houston and Newark, NJ. During the summer months, there are daily flights to Denver International Airport (DEN);
- Soaking in natural hot springs at Old Town or Strawberry Park;
- The Steamboat Pro Rodeo Series takes place every Friday and Saturday night during the summer, bringing additional entertainment to this thriving mountain community.
Steamboat Springs is one of the those special places that people visit frequently, and many never leave. If you’re looking or dreaming to live nearby this recreational haven with a long-standing history of ranching, here are the top seven Colorado ranches for sale near Steamboat Springs.
Situated in proximity to both Steamboat and Vail Valley, Singing Elk Ranch is an alpine retreat that offers the ultimate in solitude and recreation. Designed as a family ranch refuge, Singing Elk is a turn-key property featuring adjacency to the Flat Tops Wilderness Area, a private lake, exclusive hunting, and a 5-bedroom craftsman style log cabin.
Resting next to the Routt National Forest and Dunckly Flat Tops, Fish Creek Lodge is the headquarters of the famous hunting operation at Cross Mountain Ranch. With the perfect improvements for the ideal hunt, the property is complete with an LL Bean designed hunting lodge. Trophy hunting for elk and mule deer on the ranch and adjoining public lands is plentiful.
Egry Mesa Ranch represents one of the most diversified and spectacular recreational ranches on the market today. It includes all the resources you look for with 3.5 miles of boundary with the Routt National Forest, a combined 5 miles of two rivers, and water rights that irrigate approximately 180 acres of meadows and pastures.
Pyramid Peak Ranch is a scenic mountain ranch resting in a spectacular basin just beneath the soaring Pyramid Peak. Expertly stewarded, the ranch provides incredible wildlife habitat balanced with water resources, livestock, and agricultural operations. This ranch has it all with privacy, adjacent to national forest, water rights, 2 miles of creek frontage, irrigated meadows, abundant wildlife, lodges, cabins, and historic stagecoach stop, all within 30 minutes from an airport and one hour from Steamboat Springs.
Just 25 minutes from downtown Steamboat Springs, C Cross C Ranch is one of the last remaining historic ranches in the Upper Yampa River Valley. Operated by the same family for over 100 years this well rounded property offers 1.5 miles of private river, terrific elk hunting, lush meadows, and diverse mountain terrain with expansive views.
With the South Fork of the Williams Fork River flowing through the heart of the ranch, the Crystal Creek Ranch is an incredible combination of end of the road privacy with year-round access and great hunting and fishing, all within an hour of Steamboat Springs.
Set in northwestern Colorado, Sanctuary Ranch offers stunning accommodations, seclusion, and trophy hunting and fly-fishing, all just down the road from world-class skiing at Steamboat Springs. The property adjoins Routt National Forest for 3.5 miles, has 2.6 miles of private fly-fishing on Willow Creek, and is home to the famous White River Elk Herd. Complete with a majestic 11,000 sq. ft. main log lodge with stocked trout ponds and senior water rights, the ranch is the perfect legacy property for a family or corporate mountain retreat.
For a quick recap of the Top 7 Colorado ranches near Steamboat Springs, enjoy the following video: