Cattle ranch with the terrific elk, deer, bear and pronghorn hunting
- Consists of 8,240 +/- total acres (7,600 Deeded; 640 State Lease)
- Cattle Ranch with the terrific elk, deer, bear and pronghorn hunting
- Excellent year-round hard grass cattle ranch
- Nice mix of open grassland and tree covered hillsides
- Unique ecosystem at the northern portion of the Chihuahuan Desert
- Situated at the base of Horseshoe Mesa along the Colorado/New Mexico border, approximately an hour east of Trinidad, CO
- Solid perimeter and pasture fencing with ample water
- Blank slate with no homes and wholly unencumbered
- Located on Horseshoe Mesa, just east of Fishers Mesa and Fishers Peak State Park (The 20,000-acre Fishers Peak State Park is Colorado’s newest State Park. Adjacent to Fishers Peak lies the James John and Lake Dorothy State Parks.)
Sweetwater Ranch is situated along the Colorado/New Mexico border mesa country about an hour east of Trinidad. The northern half of the property is composed of open high prairie grassland while the southern half is mostly pinon and cedar hillsides rising to the southern boundary atop Horseshoe Mesa. This is a terrific hunting property with good numbers of elk, and the area is known for producing great bulls. Also boasting mule deer, pronghorn, bears and turkeys, Sweetwater Ranch enjoys the unique combination of solid grazing along with diverse, high quality hunting opportunities.
Sweetwater Ranch is situated along the Colorado / New Mexico border mesa country about an hour east of Trinidad. The northern half of the property is composed of open high prairie grassland while the southern half is mostly pinon and cedar hillsides and canyons rising to the southern boundary atop Horseshoe Mesa, which rises to nearly 8,800’. The upper reaches of the property were burned in 2002, and thanks to sound management and limited grazing, the ranch has healed and thus provides improved grazing opportunities for livestock and enhanced habitat for multiple
Perimeter and pasture fencing with solid two-track road infrastructure provide easy access throughout the property.
Approximately one hour east of Trinidad, Colorado, which is the county seat of Las Animas, County. Trinidad is known as an eclectic community with schools, hospitals, dining, shopping, and county airport.
- Average January temperature – High’s – 47, Low – 15
- Average June temperature – High – 89, Low – 57
- Average rainfall – 14”
- Average snowfall – 52”
- Average number of sunny days – 205
The Sweetwater Ranch is located in Colorado Big Game unit 140, which is known for trophy class elk, mule deer, black bear, pronghorn and Merriams turkey, all of which inhabit this property. Licenses for all species are readily available.
There is an approximate 5 acre spring fed lake on the upper end of the ranch that has historically been stocked and held fish.
Sweetwater Ranch is a solid southeastern Colorado grazing ranch. The northern half of the ranch is mostly open buffalo and blue grama grassland. The southern half is mostly rolling hillsides with pinon, cedar and oak brush providing nice cover for cattle and wildlife. A general rule of thumb for this area is a stocking rate of 40 acres per cow in normal moisture years. Stock water is sourced through dirt tanks along with ephemeral springs and ponds.
Because of its unique ecosystem as a transition zone in the northern reaches of the Chihuahuan Desert, this is a high value area for conservation. The ranch is currently unencumbered.